Reciprocity Overview



What is Reciprocity?

According to the dictionary, reciprocity is a commercial dealing between organizations by which corresponding advantages or privileges are granted by each organization to members of the other.

In terms of architectural registration, reciprocity is when a registered architect in one jurisdiction applies for registration in another jurisdiction by presenting documentation that he or she meets that jurisdiction's registration requirements. The most common and widely accepted means of gaining reciprocity is through the NCARB Certificate.

Gaining Reciprocity

To find out how to become registered in each jurisdiction, visit the Registration Board Requirements section of our web site and contact the board in which you would like to be registered. If you already hold an NCARB Certificate, the instructions for reciprocity are available to you in your online NCARB Record; just select the "Request a Transmittal" option and choose the jurisdiction of interest.

Do You Need to Complete the IDP?

Several states have grandfathering laws related to the adoption of the IDP for reciprocal registration. [more]

Reciprocity Between the United States and Canada

NCARB and the Canadian Architectural Licensing Authorities (CALA) have signed an agreement that provides for the reciprocal registration of architects who are practicing in a jurisdiction that has signed a Letter of Undertaking. [See question 23 in the Registration Board Requirements]

Architects holding an NCARB Certificate who are registered in and have their principal place of practice in a jurisdiction that has signed the Letter of Undertaking may transmit their NCARB Certificate Record to a jurisdiction/province provided that that jurisdiction has also signed the Letter of Undertaking.  

As with reciprocity in U.S. jurisdictions, you should contact a Canadian Board directly to find out their requirements for reciprocal registration with your jurisdiction. Click here for contact information for Canadian registration boards.

Requirements for Canadian Architects for NCARB Certification

If you are registered to practice architecture in a Canadian jurisdiction, review the requirements for NCARB certification for Canadian Architects in section 3 of the Certification Guidelines.

To send your NCARB Certification to a U.S. or Canadian registration board, use the “Request Transmittal of your NCARB Record” in My NCARB.

Related Publications


Mobile You
Be ready for opportunities in every economy—find out the benefits of NCARB certification.

Download (PDF, 357K)

Related Content

Do You Need IDP for Reciprocity?
Grandfathering laws related to the adoption of the IDP for reciprocal registration.

New Mutual Recognition Agreement With Canada Goes into Effect January 2014
NCARB and CALA have signed a new Mutual Recognition Agreement for reciprocal registration of architects, which will go into effect January 1.